Summertime is all about spending hot days in the garden…
Follow these 5 tips and you will be enjoying a clean, sanitary pool all season long.
- Vacuuming is usually a weekly necessity, however with the many automated options at your disposal today – you may be able to eliminate the manual labor completely. There are a variety of automatic cleaners including suction side, pressure side and electric so no matter what type of inground pool you own, there is an automated cleaner for you. Robotic cleaners are powered by low-voltage electricity, rather than your pool pump or a booster pump. Pressure side pool cleaners use the power of the water pressure to pick up dirt and debris and collect it in an attached bag. Suction side cleaners attach to one of the suction ports in your pool – the plumbing that pulls water out of the pool to be filtered.
- Brushing is probably one of the most beneficial tasks although this is manual labor on your part. First, use your skimmer to remove leaves or other debris from the water surface. Brushing the walls and tile helps minimize algae buildup and calcium deposits. Methodically brush the walls, tile and surface area always moving toward the main drain of your pool.
- Cleaning your filter. There are three kinds of pool filters: cartridge, sand and diatomaceous earth. While there are different maintenance procedures for each type, all require periodic cleaning depending on the type of filter and how often a pool is used.
- Maintain the proper water level and chemical balance. Water will be lost through evaporation, however, it is important to maintain a certain level in order for your filtration system to work properly. Pool water should also be tested regularly to make sure it’s at a healthy level. Use a test kit or take your water to be tested in order to maintain the proper chemistry for safe swimming.
- Contaminants like ammonia or nitrogen build up in a pool over time depending on the load of bathers, temperature and other factors. It is necessary to superchlorinate — or shock — pool water back to normal chlorine levels on a regular schedule.
Routine maintenance is the key to a sparkling clean pool. Each pool is different and so is the frequency of maintenance that will be required. If you need help with your pool maintenance, call POOLMAX and we’ll be happy to give you a free estimate for weekly, bi-weekly or occasional pool service.